Lyrics to B-Sides

From: Ethan Douglas Straffin <straffin@CS.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 92 21:59:23 PDT
Subject: Lyrics to B-Sides

I haven't seen these posted here yet, so here's what I've worked out for
the lyrics to "Here, In My Head", "Mary", and "Upside Down".  I'm
planning to submit these to the archive at cs.uwp.edu soon, so please
send any corrections you find to me at straffin@xenon.stanford.edu, or
to the list if you think it's appropriate.  Note: I'm especially unsure
about the "Everybody wants you sweetheart" verse in "Mary"...a little
too much "funny lip shape" on Tori's part, perhaps?  :-)

Here, In My Head
- ---------------

in my head, i found you there and
running around and following me
boy, you don't know, haunting there
but i find that i have now more than i ever wanted to

so maybe thomas jefferson wasn't born in your backyard
like you have said, ah
maybe i'm just the horizon you run to when she has left
you there, you oh, here in my head
and running around and calling me
come back, i'll show you the roses and brush off the snow
and open their petals again and again
and you know that apple green ice cream can melt in your hands
i can't, so i, i held your hand at the fair
and even forgot what time it was

and even thomas jefferson wasn't born in your backyard
like you have said, ah
maybe i'm just the horizon you run to when she has left
you and me here, alone on the floor
you're counting my feathers as the bells toll
you see the bow and the belt and the girl from the cell
all favorites of mine, you know them all well
and spring brings fresh little petals that makes it all clear
and makes it all, and do you know
hey, do you know what this is doing to me
oh, here, here, here, here in my head

Mary
- ---

everybody wants something from you
everybody want a piece of mary
lush valley all dressed in green
just ripe for the picking
god i want to get you out of here
you can ride in a pink mustang
when i think of what we've done to you

oh mary, can you hear me
growing up isn't always fun
they tore your dress and stole your ribbons
they see you cry, they lick their lips
butterflies don't belong in nets

oh mary, can you hear me
mary, you're bleeding
mary, don't be afraid
we're just waking up
and i hear help is on the way

mary, can you hear me
mary, like jimmy said
mary, don't be afraid
'cause even the wind, even the wind
cries your name

everybody wants you sweetheart
everybody got a dream of glory
law's sake, he's got a pin-up girl
he got her on as they buy and sell
if it's a myth, running dry
can't you hear the dolphins crying
what are we doing, our baby screams
fill their mouths with some magic rain

oh mary, can you hear me
mary, you're bleeding
mary, don't be afraid
we're just waking up
and i hear help is on the way

mary, can you hear me
mary, like jimmy said
mary, don't be afraid
'cause even the wind, even the wind
cries your name

na nay nay nay nay, na na na nay nay
na nay nay nay nay, na na na nay nay, ooh ooh
na nay nay nay nay, na na na nay

oh butterflies don't belong in nets
oh mary, can you hear me
mary, you're bleeding
mary, don't be afraid
we're just waking up
and i hear help is on the way

mary, can you hear me
mary, like jimmy said
mary, don't be afraid
'cause even the wind, even the wind
cries your name
'cause even the wind cries your name
'cause even the wind cries your name
cries your name, cries your name
cries your name

Upside Down
- ----------

god i love to turn my little blue world upside down
god i love to turn my little blue world upside down
inside my head the noise
chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter
you see i'm afraid i'll always be
still coming out of my mother upside down

don't you love to turn this little blue girl upside down
oh i know you love to turn this little blue girl baby upside down
but my heart it says
you been shatter, shatter, shatter, shatter, shattered
and i know you're still a boy
still coming out of your mother

but when you gonna stand on your own?
i say the world is sick
you say tell me what that makes us darlin'
you see you always find my faults
faster than you find your own
you say the world is getting rid of her demons
i say baby what have you been smoking

well i dreamed, i dreamed, i dreamed
i loved a black boy and my daddy would scream, oh yeah

don't you love to turn this little blue girl upside down
any kind of touch i think is better than none even upside down
but you see i'm tangled up
got a kitten, kitten, kitten, kitten in my hair
cincinnati, i like the word
it's the only thing we can seem to turn upside down

well i found the secret to life
i found the secret to life
i'm okay when everything is not okay
i said i found the secret to life
i found the secret to life
i'm okay when everything is not okay
is not okay

oh turning, turning little blue world upside down
say don't we love to turn our little blue world baby upside down
inside my head a voice
chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter
and it says girl you're all the same
still coming out of your mothers
still coming out of your mothers upside down

- -Ethan
straffin@xenon.stanford.edu

ToriThoughts.Org > RDTRN > Archives > July 1992