Re: Amos, Leno, Letterman, and Branford

From: Thor Iverson <tiverson@lynx.dac.northeastern.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 15:40:47 EST
Subject: Re: Amos, Leno, Letterman, and Branford

I realize this sounds like a sequel to Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, & Howe,
but...  ;-)

> on your show, but during the second introduction, you'll notice that Tori
> autographed his CD cover during the break...I haven't seen that happen very
> often on the late night shows...

Jay has everyone sign CDs.  Everyone.  But don't worry--you haven't missed
anything by not watching.

> can only imagine how Letterman would have handled it.  That's the problem
> with hosts who are comedians: many times, they feel they have to be funny
> all the time, even during interviews with interesting guests.

True.  But I think Dave is just goofy enough to have dealt a lot better
with Tori.  Call it genius, artistic temperament, or whatever, but Tori
_can_ be a bit obscure, and Jay is anything but.  I actually think Dennis
Miller was intelligent enough to have done a decent interview with her,
but I guess we'll never know.

> Even beyond that, and the obvious glances at the sheet music by the
> keyboard player sitting behind her,

Sorry, can't let you get away with a swipe at Kenny Kirkland!  ;-)  The
thing is--this band has to learn at least 5 songs every day, not to mention
their "real life" musical pursuits.  I would glance at the chart too.

> *****Tori, don't ever, ever, EVER tour with a band!!!!!*****

Actually, I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if she toured for the rest of
her career with just a piano.

> Maybe it was just that Branford Marsalis and his jazz band aren't cut out to
> do anything that's not jazz, never mind "Crucify"-

While this is the best "stand alone" band on TV, they do seem to have a
problem backing non-jazz artists.  Kevin Eubanks and Kenny Kirkland just
need to remember to crank the volume on these occasions and it would sound
a lot better.

Thor Iverson

ToriThoughts.Org > RDTRN > Archives > January 1993