Re: Kate & Clannad

From: stephen@cc.uow.edu.au (Stephen Nicholson) (Stephen Nicholson)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 10:42:30 +1000
Subject: Re: Kate & Clannad

Rendell says:
>Remember: Clannad starting putting ethereal-gaelic-music back in '82,
>whereas Enya's first album was in '87....

Ahem ... try about '71 or '72. Have a look at some of their really
early albums where damn near everything was sung in Gaelic! Those
were the days indeed. The cover to Clannad 2 is classic with them
in these cute hippy clothes.

Look for the following albums: Clannad 2, Fuaim, Crann Ull and
anything else from the 70s. (I just know I mis-spelt these :-).
Also Magic Ring with the haunting Newgrange.

Out of their more modern albums in the 80s I'd recommend
Macalla. The rest seem a little too pop-blues-jazz fusion
for my taste in general. When I saw them at the Sydney
entertainment centre I thought that their modern stuff
was uninspiring, but their older numbers just soared!

I'd well recommend the Clannad video as well - based on
PastPresent (their compilation album). Lots of great
interviews interspersed with them playing for the cameras
and old video clips.

Another TV show which features a fair bit of Clannad (as
well as Sinead, Christy Moore, Saint Bob, U2, etc etc)
is called "Cool Clear Crystal Streams". The North
Americans might find it on cable somewhere.

There ya go.

- - Stephen.

ToriThoughts.Org > RDTRN > Archives > August 1993