Re: T-shirt acquiescence?

From: Andrew Hall <ajx@kaiwan.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 1994 18:55:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: T-shirt acquiescence?

On Fri, 21 Jan 1994, richard handal wrote:

> Hey, Kids:
>
> Is Andrew Hall's (apparently non-RDT) friend's idea the _only_ one to be
> offered to us? Didn't some other folks have some art they were working on?
> Can't we get a chance to *decide* what art most of us are interested in.
> I think it's great if Mr. Hall wants to arrange to get them produced--
> this is most kind, and usefull.
>
> BUT if, as a by-product of that, we have to agree to use his friend's
> design--no matter what it is, and without a fair chance to see work others
> who *are* RDTers may have toiled over for a long time to come up with--
> I'm *not* in favor of *that*. I don't see that this can't be worked out
> amicably, if Andrew is still willing to arrange for T-shirt production
> with someone else's design, if people say they would prefer that.
>
> How about it, are there others with designs *they've* worked on who would
> like to put them up for consideration? Can they be placed where those of
> us with internet access can download them and decide?
>
> Just don't like the sense of any control or decision-making being removed.
>
> Love you all,
>
>  Richard Handal                 <handal@mail.loc.gov>
>  M/B/RS Division              <handal@access.digex.net>
>  Library of Congress
>  Washington, DC 20540-4804     "Master of the Obscure"

OK....

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.....

Um, hey Richard, I didn't mean to be the Grinch or anything and "remove
all your sense of control and decision making"...

Seriously, this kinda puts me in a weird position.  I thought that the
concensus was that the person who went to the hassle of putting the
production together would kind of have "creative license" on the shirt
design.  I gather this is not the case.  I certainly didn't mean to make
this appear as some kind of "anti-creativity" plot towards the Rdter
community.

Perhaps a little background may give you an insight as to my position.

A little before I volunteered to do the shirts I was having lunch with my
artist friend (who, by the way, is not on RDT as you have noted, but a
Tori fan none the less).  Anyways I was telling him about this T-shirt
thing and he said "Hey, let's do it!  I could do the art and I also know
how to make the shirts" (he really does, I've seen some of the ones he's
done for other people).  Anyways, we agreed to have me do all the Internet
posting and business junk (mailing, packaging, stamping, buying shirts,
collecting $$, etc)...  Then I mailed to you all.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do.  If he doesn't do the
artwork, he might not be real excited about printing the shirts.  This is
my guess, I don't know for sure...I'm just guessing.  In that case, I sure
don't know how to do them (being a purely music and computer geek, I have
no real grasp of printing, silk-screening, whatever...).

If you all decide you want to do the democracy thing and vote, put GIFs
out there, vote on them, etc... that's totally cool with me.  It's really
not my purpose to try to "artistically control" the RDT community.  I'm
just not sure if I'll be able to do the shirts.

Please send email to me and CC it to the list with what each of you think
you want to do.  If someone else wants to put it together I promise I
won't get my feelings hurt.  Really.  It's no big deal, I just thought it
might be kinda cool to try, but I would have a full and fulfilling life
without doing it :)

Lemme know,
Power to the people....

	AJx   8^)

ToriThoughts.Org > RDTRN > Archives > January 1994